Friday, December 18, 2009

On Frozen Pond





As I stare at the pond just outside the schooling center where I work, I am reminded of rebirth & death. Working with the children of the Headstart program has kept my thoughts on the joys of life and renewal. The energy that flows through these children in full bloom are the beginnings of growth, inspiration and creativity. Making happy memories, precious moments that will exist in the mind forever. For the"cold", metaphorically speaking, has not yet pierced their love of life,"no... not yet."


Just outside the large window is the playground and just beyond that a chain link fence that encloses a pond. Frozen now, as the weather has chilled it to a state of solid ice and the transparent sheet sparkles of dusted snow . As I look on, I see a squirrel that scurries across the invisible crystal covering; a benevolent bird perching on one of the branches that is stuck in the ponds' icy confines. It reminds me of a Christmas card that glistens full of glitter. I listen to the children in the classroom as the teacher reads. I too am frozen with nostalgia and my mind starts to indulge me with my own childhood winters. Things remembered of a time ago when innocence shimmered of ornaments, Christmas lights and snowball fights. Long cold icicles that hung from houses like great stalactites. Snowflakes of different shapes falling from a clear wintry sky; on my head, nose and I stick out my tongue. 
My heart is smiling as my daydream takes me swiftly and momentary from the classroom. Suddenly and abruptly, I am brought back from my memories with the ringing from a message on my phone. I answer, I listen, as I look on frozen pond...

It is mother. As she speaks the tone in her voice is direct, solemn, and she is very brief. My heart senses something is very wrong...

"I just wanted to tell you that your cousin Melda has passed away. I'll speak with you later..." The message ends and I am stunned--- I cannot believe what I just heard. No more does my mind reflect the winter solstice of my youth. No, no more, and now I "feel the cold," figuratively speaking. 

Instantly what was a vision of wintry nostalgia is now chilled with the overshadow of death.

The icy pond seems frigid. The naked trees lonely and cold since exposed to my thoughts of Melda's death. The bird has since left the stick stuck in the pond's liquid cryogenic prison .

How quickly things change.  Death & rebirth,but this is the way of the world. "For dust thou art, and unto dust thou shall return."~Genesis 3:19

 Plants, animals, all must go back to the earth. A cycle of degeneration and regeneration; transformation and renewal. A loss that brings sadness, grief and hopefully understanding and comfort. Eventually, death awaits us all. 

I pray in silent to the only GOD for inner strength, fortitude and guidance. So I may channel these gifts to illuminate my path, my journey, my destiny; entwined with  GOD The Father and GOD The Son,  Our Lord King & Savior Jesus Christ.

"For everything there is a season, as it is written."  ~Ecclesiastes 3.   "A time to be born and a time to die; A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn, A time to dance." 

GOD is time...Eternal life, Cosmic consciousness, and completion. The Creator is everything, and everything is linked to everything.


Whatever GOD does, It shall be forever. Nothing can be added to it. Nothing can be taken from it. "

So it is  written, and so shall it be."

~LJS